Wednesday 24 October 2012

If You Always Do What You've Always Done...

...Then you'll always get what you've always got.

This saying has resonated with me for the past few months, and today, as I was running, I felt stronger and faster as a result.

I've been a runner for more than 15 years, and I've worked out, or done some kind of exercise on a very regular basis, for longer than that.
Long story short, exercise has never been something I'm afraid of, and particularly, intense exercise.

For as many years as I would consider myself a regular exerciser, I've also been anywhere from slightly overweight to obese, by a BMI standard.  My scale has frequently registered a 2 in front of the rest of the numbers.  So frequently, that it has never fazed me.  And I don't consider that a bad thing.  Not attaching my self-worth to the number on the scale is a GOOD thing.
And I'm still not trying to amount myself to numbers on a scale, don't get me wrong.
My point is that I feel that I have found my perfect (or close to!) personal equation.  I have found a healthy way to eat and an exercise balance that is simply resulting in weight loss, and more importantly, the fittest me that has ever existed.

As I was out for my 5.5km run, for the second day in a row, I found myself feeling lighter on my feet.  I did not struggle at any point, even the hills, and my normally 38-40 minute time has now become 32-33.
I feel incredible.
I can't help but smile for much of my run, as I repeat in my head the mantra that titles this post.

For my entire life, I have been stuck in an exercise and food 'rut', and now, at 31 years old, I've come out of it!

That's a long time!  However, if it was all to get to this point, then it was all worth it.

Since the day I had Miss E, I am down 44lbs.  But this is not the end, by any stretch, but more like the mid-way point.  I can feel myself slipping into a comfort zone, as my clothes all fit, well, and when I look in the mirror I'm happy with what I see.
My goal isn't necessarily to weigh a certain number (if anyone's seen Knocked Up, I'm not going to choose a number on the scale and then, weigh that!), but rather to continue to eat well and exercise and let my body take care of the rest.
I have taken a picture a couple of weeks ago, and I have yet to decide if I'm going to share it at any point, so count yourself lucky if it ever shows up here because it took a lot of guts simply to TAKE the intrepid bikini photo!

I'm going to leave a link to my current favourite running song, and if it happens to inspire you to pound out a few kilometers, I'm sorry.  Except that I'm not, because if you've read this and you want to go for a run, that's fantastic and I encourage you to do it!  You will NOT regret it!  ;)

Sweet Nothing - Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment