Monday 28 January 2013

The Challenge

I ran 20km yesterday and felt so fantastic.
This was the furthest I'd ever run since my Vegas incident, so I was understandably nervous about it, but I've been treating my body well and working up to this distance in a reasonable manner, and so, it was a beautiful day and I ran 20 20.28km and felt amazing!

I'm participating in a 12 week clean eating challenge, however I have no intention of this "challenge" ending after 12 weeks.  I've found this new-to-me way of eating to be refreshing and easy and I'm never, ever hungry.  I've also already noticed a change in my energy level and if I do have A cheat, I really feel lousy afterwards, which is something I've never experienced.

With this challenge comes, well, challenges!
Today's is a question, and it asks me what is the biggest obstacle holding me back from achieving all that I want to.
Good one.
For me to answer this question, I had to first decide what it is I want to achieve.  What are my goals?  From this challenge, from the next six months, or year?  Forever?
So, my goal from this challenge is to get my body into a single digit size.  That is something I haven't done ever in my adult life, so that's huge for me!
I also want to permanently change the way I deal with food and eating in general.  I'll let you know in 11 weeks time if I've succeeded at either one of these goals!

My goals for 6 months and a years time?  To be able to MAINTAIN my aforementioned goals and to be running a half marathon every couple months or so and a marathon every year.  Pain and injury-free.
That's it.
Written down, my goals seem much more attainable and real.

So, first question answered, second one, MUCH more difficult to answer...
Obstables.
And after thinking about it long and hard, I've decided that my fear of "getting there" is my biggest obstacle.
I am genuinely afraid of reaching my goal weight because today I am at my wedding day weight, which also happens to be my lowest adult weight.
I feel good.  I feel like I look OK and I know that I can easily stay at this weight.
But I also know that if I stay the course, I will be a me that I won't hardly recognize.
And that is truly terrifying.
I'm an expert at gaining weight and I'm pretty good at losing it, but I haven't a clue how to maintain it.
This notion may very well be what's held me back for so many years from changing.
Fear of the unknown?  Yup.  That's me!
There again.  Now that it's on the screen in front of me, it seems that if I'm at least aware of it, I can overcome it.
(Hmmmmmm, seems to me I MAY have written a post about obstacles not TOO long ago...).

As far as my running goals, I'm afraid that I will hurt myself again, or worse, re-injure myself.
The thing is, I know that if I become this person I speak of whom I have never met, y'know, the one who wears clothes that can be purchased from the middle of the rack, that my chance of injuring myself decreases.  A lot.
If there is less of me, then there is less stress on my legs.  Legs that will also be stronger and leaner than ever before.  This is very exciting to me and is one of my biggest motivators to "get there".
So, one week down, 11 more to go and surely my forever holds a super healthy me!

Cheers and here's to another squeaky clean week!





No comments:

Post a Comment