Saturday 4 June 2016

On your Fourth Birthday, Lady Ellie

I sat in the room with my enormous belly underneath my folded hands.
The other Mom's from my midwife group had brought their new little babies, some as old as three weeks already.

I had to hold back tears, and pronounce that, "it's easier to be pregnant, than have a new baby to look after".
I hated waiting for the arrival.
One day over due, then two, then six.

Then my brother married the most wonderful girl, and still, a week overdue and celebrating in Jasper, no baby.
I gained a lot of weight.  I was friggin' huge.
I really didn't want to be pregnant anymore, and I just wanted to meet you.

You had your own plan then, and still do.

The day you were born was both the most hectic day of my life, and in complete contrast, your birth was my most calm, and relaxed.

This is you.
Wild and unbridled, and yet, you can be so, so sweet.
So kind and generous.

And in the very next breath, you are breathing fire.

My second born girl, you have grown into a beautiful, strong, unapologetically independent kid.
Not my baby anymore.
You're growing tall and losing your adorable baby chub, and your strength and grace is starting to shine bright.

It's impossible for you to be turning four, as I remember vividly your birth day as if it were moments ago.

You made your own plans to arrive and although your Nana, sister and I spent the entire day killing phone batteries while timing regular contractions walking around West Edmonton Mall, it was less than one hour of discomfort before you made your grand and magnificent entrance.

We were going to call you Grace.
I still adore that name, but it was evident almost momentarily that you were meant to be an Ellie.

Spunky and radiant.

Your smile is sometimes all I need. 
Your imagination is like none other and when you lean on the window sill at the front of our house, I can only dream of what you might be thinking.

Your Dad and I, and I'm sure your brother and sister, want you to know, on your fourth birthday, that we love you bigger than Texas and that life without you would be un-glittered and utterly boring without the glamour and charm you bring every day.

Happy birthday Ellie!







No comments:

Post a Comment