Saturday 21 April 2018

Zest for Life

I'm not the kind of person who has ever, not even once, forgotten to eat.
I just don't.

In fact, I'm usually looking forward to what I'm eating for the next meal, while I'm eating.
I know that for a lot of people, eating is just something necessary, food is fuel, (mmmmm'kay...), but for me, and I think for a fair number of us, food is a 'UGE part of life.

What have I learned?
I  must have something to look forward to every day.
If I plan and prep my food, and for three days I dread eating that food?  Then usually after those three days I've got to plan some junk, or else I will binge.  However, if I prep food that I am excited to get into every day?  I do not, even a bit, feel deprived, or like I'm missing out on anything, and there is no binging, because there is no missing out on my favorite things.

Can someone who does forget to eat, tell me what that's like?  Like, what the hell is going on in your brain that you're not thinking about food?  Should I also be thinking about these interesting things?  Still, having a hard time comprehending how anything could be more interesting than food...

Y'know those shake diets?  Like, just drink this shake twice a day and then try to control your insatiable hunger, just to follow up by preparing a nice, sensible dinner!
Well, we are not dogs and we do not have to eat the same crap several times a day to get to our goals.  Also, opposable thumbs!

I'm sure I've touched on this before, but I cannot stress enough, that the best way for you to achieve and more importantly, maintain your goals, is the plan you can do.  The one you're excited about.  When you don't feel deprived, or have serious FOMO.  I realize it's not a cookie cutter process.  It shouldn't be!  We're all different and our bodies respond different ways to different techniques for transformation!  It's OK!  If you think you want to try a diet, then give'r!  If you hate it?  Stop doing it!  I feel as though much of our failure, or feeling like we've failed, comes from a place where we feel like what we're doing to achieve our goals is unfair.  That's when we say, f*ck it, and just eat whatever we like, because, well, my friend Karen eats what she likes and has never had to battle weight, and I just don't care anymore, so, whatever...And also, we all have a Karen in our lives and she's just a lucky bitch.

Think about the moment you're eating something totally delicious, but you've decided you want to shed a few pounds, and so you know it might not be the wisest choice. Your inner dialogue might go something like this:

This is the last (insert item you are devouring) I am going to have for a LONG time.
This.  Is.  IT.
Ugh.  But this thing is so f*cking good.  SO good.
Better enjoy this.  Not sure when I'll get another (insert item you are devouring)
*Finish eating last tasty morsel
*Immediately regret promising not to eat this item for a long time
*Also immediately want to eat 10 or 12 dozen of these things

I do this.  Totally do this.  And sometimes the entire day goes into the garbage.  Like, I should have been making good choices to reach my goals, but instead I decided to eat that cookie sandwich thingy from Crave (which was seriously delicious, y'guys), and now I have ruined this day so I'll just eat fries and gravy.

Losing weight and keeping it off is hard, guys.  So hard.  I wish I could say that I've nailed it, but I haven't.  I will muddle my way through this forever, knowing that the longer I maintain, the better I'll get at it, and the habits I used to have get left farther behind.  I read a quote the other day that read, "We will spend 95% of our lives trying to be 5% thinner."  I don't wanna do this.  I gots way too much living to do, to be spending so much time dieting.  I will probably think about food in my every waking moment, forever.  I don't think that's a bad thing.  I am just learning that I can eat totally delicious food that is also good for me, and never feel like I am missing out on a damn thing.


*Immediately regret promising yourself you will not devour this tasty morsel







No comments:

Post a Comment