Thursday 21 February 2013

Soul Freedom

Cliques.  Bullies. Drama.
Didn't you think that after high school you'd leave it all behind?
I did!
But guess what?  These people exist throughout the course of our lives.
Being able to just be grateful for what we have and not worry about these happenings going on around us is something that can bring peace and contentment in our day to day lives.
But it's definitely not easy.
Do I wish that losing weight was easier?
Yep.
Do I wish that I had nicer hair or skin?
You betcha.
Do I wish that I could keep in better touch with my friends and family?
Of course!
I have been dealt these cards and really, at the end of the day, I have a pretty fantastic life and if the hardest obstacle for me to overcome is my weight, then that's petty in comparison to the challenges that many others face.

I know that everyone has endured something in their lives that has caused them hurt and pain.
I'm no different.
As I get older, I am coming to terms with the fact that I cannot control other people, but I can control how I react.

This is not a new concept, however, to truly live this, brings a personal peace like no other.
To be able to forgive people, especially without them knowing, can free your soul and take a huge, invisible weight off your shoulders.

I find it exhausting to continue to use my brain space on people and things that I do not value.  I need to let go of parts of my past that leave me heavy chested and stressed.
I recall a saying that goes along the lines of, the best revenge is to live a good life.
Revenge for what?  Is that even the right word?
How about, live a good life.
Period.
Why does it need to be an in your face kind of thing?  The bullies and the cliques and the drama will always be there.  Live a great life anyway.

I'm sure as I get older and gain life experience, I will look back on moments that seemed life changing at the time, and see them as trivial and juvenile.
But even this is a personal choice, and essentially, a reaction to a circumstance.
I thought that high school drama would be left in high school and that the older I got, the further it would be left behind, but each person is entitled to live their own life and some people either enjoy their life and some maybe can't let go of the past.
I used to view people who were 5 or 10 or 15 years older than me, as more mature.
I guess I just assumed that, but again, as I get older, I'm learning that maturity is not a guarantee or a rite of passage, but rather a choice to wake up, each day, and live a good life.

So many of the hardest lessons in life are also the most worthy and rewarding.  And of course, it won't be easy to learn these lessons or we wouldn't put much value in them!
I know in my own life I struggle to focus on myself and my family and I find myself worrying about "the small stuff".
I also know that when I DO focus on my highest values, I feel good.  I feel focused and powerful and clear.
And I know that my soul is freed.
Because I let it be.



No comments:

Post a Comment