Saturday 12 August 2017

Stories

I love doing special things, impromptu dates and staycations with the kids, and although I want to document every beautiful thing that happens, I'm learning to hide our memories away from social media and away from them so that they aren't learning that unless someone is photographing and posting about our activities, then it might not have happened.

I don't remember there being a camera at every event when I was growing up, and some of my most amazing memories have no concrete evidence, except that I can catch a faint scent and be instantly transported back there.  I don't want to share everything and I don't want to be always searching for my phone telling them to smile.  I know for a lot of people, capturing every moment is important, and I respect that, but for our family, we choose not to share everything and we sometimes don't bring cameras at all.

I started writing this blog when there was only one kidlet, and we've grown by two more of them, and in the evolution of this running commentary of our life, I came to realize that this blog will be a kind of autobiography of our life, and of all the crazy things they've done over the years.

I attempted a baby book for the first one, and that got summarized into a different book so that I could pitch the ugly "baby book".  I bought each of them an erin condren notebook (beautiful stuff, BTW, if you're looking for a new personalized journal!) so that I can someday start to hand write each of their stories.I continue to sit down and jot notes about the early years, because the sleep deprivation tends to steal those memories the fastest, but I know that when they get a little older, they will want to read about what they were like when they were babies.  How I felt when they were growing in my belly.  In my years spent growing up, I've discovered that I'm not much of a photographer, but I do like words.  There are loads of pictures of them, but I am taking it upon myself to be the storyteller for this family.

"I lawyu Mom", he says, then wraps those chubby arms tightly around my neck and screams right into my face, "RAWWWWWWWWWWW!!".  This little boy.  My last baby.  He has simultaneously made our family feel complete, and tested me like none of the other two ever has.  He has started finding words, which makes life a whole lot easier, as I am trusting wholly that he's leaving the screaming phase behind in favor of words and sentences.  "Leemeloooooooone!".  (Leave me alone.)  This is one of his most beloved sayings right now.  We started off as two humans in this family, then added a little girl, and another, so that when he finally came along, there was already quite a lot going on.  He is feisty and loud, and yet I think he may be introverted like his Mom, as I sometimes find him in his room with the door closed, playing quietly with his "rae-cars" and "monserTRUCKS".

Ellie.  She is quickly rising to the top.  My performer.  Superstar.  Singer extraordinaire.  She lives for dressing up, finger nails (of which she has none because she has inherited the Kellington nailbiting!), having her hair done (also which is lacking as this childs' whispy hair grows not), and everything that glitters.  This girl who is exceptionally caring, but also flighty and forgetful.  I think she is the most like me and although most people see my children and immediately note how much they look like their Dad, I am told most often that Ellie looks like me.  She belts out lyrics to songs I swear she's never heard before, but the passion and feeling she gives is breathtaking.  She is all things princess, although we like to avoid that word in our house.  There isn't much denying it!

The oldest.  The first.  The one who changed everything.  Audrey.  It literally makes me have to swallow emotion when I think of her because she is such a spectacular person.  She is so, so clever.  She is thoughtful and kind, reserved and quiet.  There hasn't been an easier child to raise, than her.  She is a frustratingly picky eater, and is so much like her Dad that I sometimes think that he was exactly like her as a child.  Stubborn, but generally right.  She and I are reading the first Harry Potter book and she will quickly correct me if I miss a word or use the wrong one.  Not very snuggly, like her brother, but she will stealthily sneak up and be under your arm before you have a chance to notice.

Life goes by fast, like real, real fast, and I can only hope that these stories I've been writing will be something for them to read when they're older,and to know what it was like at our house when they were small.  This blog is often about my own personal health and fitness journey, but I want for it also to be about them, and for them.  It really is all for them, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment